Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to reuse compost in containers

Hi everyone..
    I had quite a successful, enjoyable 1st year growing veg in 12, 66ltr large containers.
    My question is, to do the same in the future, do i have the expense of having to change all the compost, or can i somehow reuse the old compost?
    I do have access to horse manure, seems well rotted, dark brown and crumbley, with no smell to it and have a bucket of growmore general purpose balanced granular fertiliser to hand.
    Regards Barrie.
    Last edited by Barrie; 14-04-2018, 12:42 PM.

If you can add nutrients back in , why shouldn't you reuse it, I can't see how it's different than growing new plants in the same ground.
    My only caveat is if you had any diseased plants, that may not be a good plan.
    Last edited by Ruthie; 25-04-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Hey! There's no problem whatsoever with it you just gotta keep a few things in mind

mainly because it's been used once you should add some multi purpose fertiliser in with the compost

one more thing which is less important but can help, I would move the compost into shelter to let it dry out because usually when reusing compost it can be soaked from winter and rain so just be careful in planting In water filled compost

Now, about the manure you have to be really careful when using it. Manure can cause root damage and also there can be weed seed mixed in with it, so if your going to use this I would add it to a compost pile and mix it all together and wait til it turns into composted manure this is really good for plants but still can be a little strong so to be safe I mix composted manure with multi purpose compost about 60% multi and 40% manure

Comment

I didn't realise this and threw manure (fresh) on my rhubarb for the winter, I am now wondering what I will do with all the rhubarb. I have harvested it twice already.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruthie View Post
          I didn't realise this and threw manure (fresh) on my rhubarb for the winter, I am now wondering what I will do with all the rhubarb. I have harvested it twice already.
          If it hasn't damaged the plant then consider yourself lucky and it'll all be fine, it doesn't always it just can cause root burn but if not it's very nutritional for plants, for future use consider the advice above though especially fresh horse manure can be very dangerous for the roots.

Comment

Thank you all for the great advice..
            Kind regards,
            Barrie

Comment

I re-use compost all the time. I tend to just use it for a different crop and add in some new compost.

Comment

Great good to know...
                Thank you

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X